If there is one thing I have learned in my walk with the Lord, it is to learn from those who have gone before me. Those who are wiser, more experienced, have a greater understanding than I do, and have something far greater to offer than I could ever achieve on my own. A.W. Tozer is one of those men that I have learned to glean from his incredible knowledge, experience, and life in the Lord. And, though he is long since passed away, his legacy still lives on. If you have not read his works, I HIGHLY encourage you to start.
Three books that will benefit you greatly are:
20 Powerful AW Tozer Quotes That Can Change Your Life.
(In no specific order)
- We must never rest until everything inside us worships God. (Tozer on worship and entertainment)
- “One hundred religious persons knit into a unity by careful organization do not constitute a church any more than eleven dead men make a football team.”
- “I want the presence of God Himself, or I don’t want anything at all to do with religion… I want all that God has or I don’t want any.”
- “We need never shout across the spaces to an absent God. He is nearer than our own soul, closer than our most secret thoughts” – The Pursuit of God
- “To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul’s paradox of love.” – The Pursuit of God
- “You can see God from anywhere if your mind is set to love and obey Him.” – The Pursuit of God
- “Those who seek the deeper Christian life and those who want the riches that are in Christ Jesus the Lord seek no place, no wealth, no things, only Christ.” – The Crucified Life
- “Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth.” – The Pursuit of God
- “Any faith that must be supported by the evidence of the senses is not real faith.” – The Knowledge of the Holy
- “Faith is an organ of knowledge, and love an organ of experience.” – The Knowledge of the Holy
- “Secularism, materialism, and the intrusive presence of things have put out the light in our souls and turned us into a generation of zombies.” – The Knowledge of the Holy
- “Promoting self under the guise of promoting Christ is currently so common as to excite little notice.” – The Pursuit of God
- “One important point many fail to understand is that the Bible was never meant to replace God; rather, it was meant to lead us into the heart of God. Too many Christians stop with the text and never go on to experience the presence of God.” – The Crucified Life
- “If we understand that everything happening to us is to make us more Christlike, it will solve a great deal of anxiety in our lives.” – The Crucified Life
- “Too often, we give God only the tired remnants of our time. If Jesus Christ had given us only the remnant of His time, we would all be on our way to that darkness that knows no morning. Christ gave us not the tattered leftovers of His time; He gave us all the time He had. But some of us give Him only the leftovers of our money and of our talents and never give our time fully to the Lord Jesus Christ who gave us all. Because He gave us all, we have what we have; and He calls us “as He is, so are we in this world.” – The Crucified Life
- “Teach us to know that we cannot know, for the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Let faith support us where reason fails, and we shall think because we believe, not in order that we may believe.” – Knowledge of the Holy
- God wants to be loved for Himself, but that is only part. He also wants us to know that when we have Him we have everything.
- Faith engages the person and promises of God and rests upon them with perfect assurance.
- Faith honors God by counting Him righteous and accepts His testimony against the very evidence of its own senses.
- God is looking for those with whom He can do the impossible– what a pity that we plan only the things that we can do by ourselves.
Highlight your favorite quote and share it. Let others glean from the wisdom of Tozer.