CS Lewis is undoubtedly a giant in the faith. He has had a tremendous impact on faith, theology, and literature. You can read about his amazing transformation, and even his group of friends “the inklings” with a quick google search. Beyond his transformation, groups of friends, or his personal theology, CS Lewis wrote some of the most incredible material throughout his years. Here are 21 inspiring quotes from the late and great CS Lewis.
CS Lewis Headshot via Wikipedia
Some of CS Lewis’s most notable works include:
21 Inspiring CS Lewis Quotes
- I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
- Christianity seems at first to be about morality, rules, guilt, and virtue, yet it leads you out of that, into something beyond.
- We all want progress, but if you’re on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.
- Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success.
- We are what we believe we are.
- God can’t give us peace and happiness apart from Himself because there is no such thing.
- Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.
- Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.
- Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties.
- When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now.
- Whether we like it or not, God intends to give us what we need, not what we now think we want.
- We were promised sufferings. They were part of the program. We were even told, “blessed are they that mourn.”
- No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.
- Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
- We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.
- If you picture Time as a straight line along which we have to travel, then you must picture God as the whole page on which the line is drawn.
- Joy is the serious business of Heaven.
- Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
- The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not.
- Don’t shine so others can see you. Shine so that through you, others can see Him.
- When Christ died, He died for you individually just as much as if you’d been the only man in the world.
My hope and prayer is that you are moved and challenged by these 21 Inspiring CS Lewis Quotes. Do you have any other CS Lewis quotes you love? Share them in a comment below.