Oswald Chambers was one of those giants in the faith that made a major impact for the Kingdom of God. Through his ministry of writing and speaking he pointed people to a deeper relationship with God. Here are 25 quotes by Oswald Chambers that are sure to change your life.
Chambers is probably most well known for his timeless devotional My Utmost For His Highest. It had been years since I read it myself. After coming across it during our move, my wife and I began working our way through it together at the beginning of the year. Many of these quotes came from this devotional and are marked accordingly with MUFHH and the date in which the quotes came from.
I encourage you to grab a copy of this sub $7 devotional and work your way through it. Now on to the quotes that will surely challenge you and change your life.
25 Life Changing Oswald Chambers Quotes
- Worship is giving God the best that He has given you. (MUFHH 1/6)
- The only right a Christian has is the right to give up his rights.
- It is not wrong to pray in the early morning, but it is wrong to have the motive that it should be known.
- God does not tell you what He is going to do; He reveals to you who He is. (MUFHH 1/2)
- If God sees that my spiritual life will be furthered by giving the things for which I ask, then He will give them, but that is not the end of prayer. The end of prayer is that I come to know God Himself.”
- When God brings the blank space, see that you do not fill it in, but wait. (MUFHH 1/4)
- Let the past sleep, but let it sleep on the bosom of Christ. Leave the Irreparable Past in His hands, and step out into the Irresistible Future with Him.
- Much of modern Christian enterprise is Ishmael. Born not of God but of an inordinate desire to do God’s will in our own way.
- God has to destroy our determined confidence in our own convictions. (MUFHH 1/29)
- Lust means- I must have it at once. Spiritual lust makes me demand an answer from God, instead of seeking God who gives the answer. (MUFHH 2/7)
- When you are in the dark, listen, and God will give you a very precious message.
- Whenever the insistence is on the point that God answers the prayer, we are off the track. The meaning of prayer is to get a hold of God, not the answer. (MUFHH 2/7)
- God is in the commonplace things and people around us. If we will do the duty that lies nearest, we shall see him. One of the most amazing revelations of God comes when we learn that it is in the commonplace things that the Deity of Jesus Christ is realized. (MUFHH 2/7)
- God does not give us overcoming life; He gives us life as we overcome. (MUFHH 2/16)
- Never let the sense of failure corrupt your new action. (MUFHH 2/18)
- The dearest friend on earth is a mere shadow compared to Jesus Christ.
- It is easier to serve God without a vision, easier to work for God without a call, because then you are not bothered by what God requires; common sense is your guide, veneered over with Christian sentiment. (MUFHH 3/4)
- Prayer imparts the power to walk and not faint.
- If in preaching the gospel you substitute your knowledge of the way of salvation for confidence in the power of the gospel, you hinder people from getting to reality.
- The natural heart will do any amount of serving, but it takes the heart broken by conviction of sin, and baptized by the Holy Ghost, and crumpled into the purpose of God before the life becomes the sacrament of its message. (MUFHH 3/10)
- Many today are spending and being spent in work for Jesus Christ, but they do not walk with Him. (MUFHH 3/9)
- The deadliest Pharisaism today is not hypocrisy, but unconscious reality. (MUFHH 3/16)
- Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading. (MUFHH 3/19)
- Beware of reasoning about God’s Word – obey it.
- Our Lord did not say it was wrong to pray in the corners of the street, but He did say it was wrong to have the motive to be seen of men.
Do you have a favorite Oswald Chambers quote? Share it in a comment below.